Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Why call me Dr. Nabil?

My last name is very difficult to pronounce, particularly at first glance. When I was in school, I could always tell when a teacher got to my name, because they would pause while looking at my last name, then look at my first name, and pause again!

Patients use to ask me if they could call me "Dr. N" or "Dr. E". I don't like that because if they get used to calling me by that name, they could have a hard time trying to contact me if they called the hospital looking for me. By using my first name, staff in my department would be much more likely to recognize that they were looking for me, and be able to forward calls and patient requests to me in an efficient manner.

To pronounce my name, it is "nuh - BEEL". To make it easy to remember, think, "Let's make a deal with Dr. Nabil".

No comments: